Current:Home > InvestEchoSense:US forces strike Houthi sites in Yemen as Biden says allied action hasn’t yet stopped ship attacks -Capitatum
EchoSense:US forces strike Houthi sites in Yemen as Biden says allied action hasn’t yet stopped ship attacks
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 16:53:18
WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. forces on EchoSenseThursday conducted a fifth strike against Iranian-backed Houthi rebel military sites in Yemen as President Joe Biden acknowledged that the American and British bombardment had yet to stop the militants’ attacks on vessels in the Red Sea that have disrupted global shipping.
The latest strikes destroyed two Houthi anti-ship missiles that “were aimed into the southern Red Sea and prepared to launch,” U.S. Central Command said in a statement posted to X, formerly known as Twitter. They were conducted by Navy F/A-18 fighter aircraft, the Pentagon said.
Biden said the U.S. would continue the strikes, even though so far they have not stopped the Houthis from continuing to harass commercial and military vessels.
“When you say working, are they stopping the Houthis, no. Are they going to continue, yes,” Biden said in an exchange with reporters before departing the White House for a domestic policy speech in North Carolina.
Biden’s comments followed another significant round of strikes Wednesday night, when the U.S. military fired another wave of ship- and submarine-launch missile strikes against 14 Houthi-controlled sites. The strikes were launched from the Red Sea and hit 14 missiles that the command also had deemed an imminent threat.
His administration also has put the Houthis back on its list of specially designated global terrorists. The sanctions that come with the formal designation are meant to sever violent extremist groups from their sources of financing, while also allowing vital humanitarian aid to continue flowing to impoverished Yemenis.
Despite sanctions and military strikes, including a large-scale operation carried out by U.S. and British warships and warplanes that hit more than 60 targets across Yemen, the Houthis keep harassing commercial and military ships. The U.S. has strongly warned Iran to cease providing weapons to the Houthis.
“We never said the Houthis would immediately stop,” the Pentagon’s deputy press secretary, Sabrina Singh, said at a briefing, when asked why the strikes have not seemed to stop the Houthis. Since the joint U.S. and British operation got underway last Friday, hitting 28 locations and struck more than 60 targets in that initial round, the Houthis’ attacks have been “lower scale,” Singh said.
For months, the Houthis have claimed attacks on ships in the Red Sea that they say are either linked to Israel or heading to Israeli ports. They say their attacks aim to end the Israeli air-and-ground offensive in the Gaza Strip that was triggered by the Palestinian militant group Hamas’ Oct. 7 attack in southern Israel. But the links to the ships targeted in the rebel assaults have grown more tenuous as the attacks continue.
The attacks have also raised questions as to whether the conflict between Israel and Hamas has already expanded into a wider regional war.
“We don’t seek war, we don’t think we are at war. We don’t want to see a regional war,” Singh said.
The British military is warning of a potential new attack on shipping some 160 kilometers (100 miles) off the coast of Yemen in the Gulf of Aden. The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Organization, which provides warnings regarding shipping across the Mideast, did not immediately elaborate.
Separately, the U.S. and its allies have formed Operation Prosperity Guardian to protect ship traffic, and currently warships from the United States, France and the United Kingdom are patrolling the area.
“These strikes will continue for as long as they need to continue,” National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said Thursday, adding, “I’m not going to telegraph punches one way or another.”
___
Associated Press writers Jon Gambrell contributed in Jerusalem and Tara Copp, Lolita C. Baldor and Sagar Meghani contributed to this report.
veryGood! (613)
Related
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- One Direction's Liam Payne May Have Been Unconscious When He Fatally Fell From Balcony
- 3 states renew their effort to reduce access to the abortion drug mifepristone
- Work in a Cold Office? These Items Will Keep You Warm
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Angel Reese says WNBA salary doesn't even pay rent: 'Living beyond my means!'
- Harris pressed on immigration, Biden in tense Fox News interview | The Excerpt
- Diablo and Santa Ana winds are to descend on California and raise wildfire risk
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Rep. Rashida Tlaib accuses Kroger of using facial recognition for future surge pricing
Ranking
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Liam Payne was open about addiction. What he told USA TODAY about alcohol, One Direction
- Lionel Messi looks ahead to Inter Miami title run, ponders World Cup future
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Double Negative
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- See Liam Payne Reunite With Niall Horan in Sweet Photos Days Before His Death
- Bachelor Nation’s Carly Waddell Engaged to Todd Allen Trassler
- Mountain West commissioner says she’s heartbroken over turmoil surrounding San Jose State volleyball
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Louis Tomlinson Planned to Make New Music With Liam Payne Before His Death
Dennis Eckersley’s daughter gets suspended sentence in baby abandonment case
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Double Negative
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Colorado gold mine where tour guide was killed and tourists trapped ordered closed by regulators
State police officers who fatally shot man were legally justified to use deadly force, report says
One Direction's Liam Payne May Have Been Unconscious When He Fatally Fell From Balcony